- Most sources recommend 1 gallon of water per person, PER day, for 3-14 days.
(Make sure to consider storing enough for pets as well)
- Store water in “FOOD GRADE” or PETE plastic containers (stay away from milk jugs, but soda bottles are suitable).
- Store water away from too much light or heat.
- Clean, sanitize, and rinse all containers prior to use.
- Do not use containers previously used to store non-food products.
- Store water in multiple sizes of containers to suit different emergency needs
- Do not store water containers directly on concrete. Place on cardboard, wood pallets, or other materials.
- Non-chlorinated water (most municipal water is chlorinated) should be treated with unscented liquid household chlorine bleach (5 to 6% sodium hypochlorite). See the chart below for appropriate amount to add to water.
- Boiling is the safest way to clean water, however you can also use household liquid bleach to kill microorganisms.
- Rotate your water storage at least once every year
Tuesday, February 16, 2010
WATER!!! Essential for LIFE!
Water is ESSENTIAL for life. You will not survive very long with out water. Dehydration and kidney failure is a horrible way to die. I got this from another website, but the info is much needed!! Lisa