Thursday, September 9, 2010

Expiration dates... are so misunderstood!

Ok, my mom and I were discussing expiration dates the other day. Then I finally have a chance to sit down and work on my blog, and my friend has written an awesome article.. I think our minds are linked in some way.
Check it out PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

So, how do I use expiration dates??? Well except for store bought milk, cream and meat. I use these funny little dates to tell me how to put items in rotation. Example: I just bought 18 jars of Ragu spaghetti sauce because it was on sale. I got home and found out I still had 6 jars left. So I looked at dates on the jars, wrote those dates on the front of my jars with my SHARPIE where I could see them easily, pulled out my first 6 jars. I then look a the dates and put the date that is the farthest away, in this case 7-2010, and put the oldest dates in the back and line them up so the closest date to today is in the front. Easy to do. I ALWAYS rotate. I also do this in my fridge with cheese, although I don't use a sharpie on those items, it eventually leaks through the plastic onto the cheese, much like those USDA stamps for meat used to do.

Please read both articles above, they are both great sources of info.. Amazing what the FDA will admit, the whole expiration date is so misunderstood!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment