Friday, November 15, 2019

November and December Challenge: Week 3 Nov 15 - 22

Well I am not satisfied. I feel the list for canned goods is lacking. So many things you can put into your larder. What about stock or broth? This can come in a can or in a 1 liter (quart) mylar box. What about beans? What about tomatoes? What about? What about?

So many items to choose from, but I will repeat, if you will not eat it, DO NOT BUY IT. It is a waste of money to buy something you absolutely will never eat. I mean you could by one can, try it to see if you like it, and if you do then add more. That makes sense. But buying something you won't eat like chipotle chilies in adobo. If you don't like it, won't use it, don't waste you money buying it.

Let's take a look at this weeks list.



#15: Chunk Pineapple
#16: Fruit Cocktail
#17: Green beans (french? cut? wax?)
#18: Corn (niblets? creamed? regular?)
#19: Canned Pasta (chef boy-r-dee?)
#20: Can of Veg-All or can of vegetables
#21: Chicken Vienna Sausages (My kids love these! I gag from the smell of them)
#22: Sirloin burger with Vegetables soup (ready to eat)

Due to our corn and gluten allergies, I don't buy a lot of convenience foods, including canned soups or pastas. But I will can my own bone broth and vegetable stock. I will can meat, I can veg, I can fruit. That said, I do have family members that can eat some ready to eat soups. So I will get some.

Anyone remember Libby's Chicken Noodle Dinner?  It was my favorite ready to eat meal from a can. Guess what? I can't find it. It was delicious with fresh homemade biscuits.


Nalley's Chili company moved from Tacoma WA to somewhere else. BUT you can still go to the Nalley Valley in Tacoma and see the old factory. When they moved the recipes changed, and they added wheat flour, lower quality meat, and the flavor is different. So I make my own now and either pressure can it or freeze it.


No comments:

Post a Comment