Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Do you know about TURMERIC?

This beautiful root is amazing!  It has so many benefits, and is so good for you.
What is it? It is a rhizome root, kind of like ginger.
It has a warm, bitter taste and is frequently used to flavor or color curry powders, mustards, butters, and cheeses. But the root of turmeric is also used widely to make medicines. The active ingredient that is so good for you is curcumin. Since curcumin is a fat-soluble compound, the most effective way to get raw turmeric into your system is by combining it with fat and black peppercorns. This is also true for ground turmeric.


Isn't it pretty?!

Today I made "Golden Milk" for my soon to be DIL and for my dear little guy. She is super sick, but he has a kidney and bladder infection. Hopefully this will help both of them. It is creamy, and warming, and pretty yummy.

I will say this. Using fresh ginger and turmeric is always going to be better, but to be honest.. Fresh turmeric is $$$$ at my local store is it $18 for 8 ounces!  I just can not afford that. BUT I do buy fresh ginger.  The link is in the Golden Milk. Here is what I used:

I used the coconut milk can to measure the almond milk as well, so I didn't have to dirty another dish.

1 full fat canned coconut milk (so didn't need the coconut oil)
 Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk
2 inches of fresh ginger that was peeled and that I cut into small pieces and put through my garlic press OR 1/2 tsp ground ginger
fresh ground black pepper (about a pinch or 1/8 tsp or so)
2 tsp of ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
RAW honey to taste

In my 3-qt sauce pan, I put the coconut milk, almond milk (measured with coconut milk can), ginger, pepper, turmeric, and cinnamon. I heated this over med-low heat until it was very warm. DO NOT BOIL. I wanted this warm enough that the turmeric and cinnamon would be activated by the coconut oil in the milk, but not too hot. I kept it very warm for about 15 minutes. Then I pulled it off the heat, gave it another good stir and let it sit. When it was finally cool enough, I added 1 TBS of raw honey and stirred well. Then I tasted it, and put in a little more honey. I strained this as I put it into jars so as not to have that ginger sitting in there too long and getting bitter.

This is DELICIOUS, but I am saving this for my DIL and my lil one. So he will have it tonight before bed. So simple to make, so yummy.  It is in the fridge right now, and I pulled it out to take a picture, and it smells so yummy I had to taste it.. WOW.. gonna have to make more!


No comments:

Post a Comment