Saturday, December 15, 2018

Chicken Stock

It was so nice the other day, after putting in a bunch of hours, and my sick kid feeling better, to have a nice sit down dinner with the family. We roasted a chicken, made some mash and gravy. It was delicious. After dinner, we took all the bones, put them in the crock pot and made bone broth.

For this wonderful bone broth it contained bones from one chicken, plus any dripping in the pan, any skin not eaten, bay leaf, some chopped carrot, chopped onion, chopped celery and some garlic. Along with a tablespoon of salt and then covered it all with water. Cooked this on low for 48 hours because I accidentally forgot about it. This happens when you have a kiddo that had a nasty virus, and the night we had our chicken dinner was the first day she was feeling better, and I took a few days to recuperate from lack of sleep.

Sometime during the last 2 weeks, my teenager decided he wanted to learn to make bread. He did great! The first time he made garlic mash bread. The second time just potato bread. Both times, all the rolls and loaves of bread came out beautifully!

And yes, these are made from a gluten dough. Yes these were FABULOUS!!! The smells were divine! So each time he made bread, it was a 6 loaf recipe, so about 9 pounds of dough. Great Grandpa and I are so proud of him. Great Grandpa was a master baker, and I am so thankful he taught me his skills before passing. Although we didn't use Great Grandpa's recipe (100 pounds of flour, 20 pounds of this.... 10 pounds of that.. I don't have that big of a mixer ).  For my little mixer, this was great. Some day  I might have the mixer of my dreams, a 60-quart Hobart, but for now my little Bosch will have to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment