Thursday, February 12, 2015

Amazing little GF muffins

I accidently found this recipe this morning. I now have so many food restrictions that it is getting more difficult to find fun things to eat. this little gem is flour free! Can be made sugar free! The texture is like a light fluffy muffin! Love it. Unfortunately this is not a nut free recipe. But there are so many options out there for nut and seed butters. No, you may not use cow butter or ghee. Sorry.

I found this amazing recipe over at Whole Lifestyle Nutrition. A great site for those looking for better options. I will post the recipe as is posted on the site, then put in my changes at the end. I highly recommend you visit the site, lots of great stuff over there.


Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 12 muffins or 24 mini muffins
Serving Size: 1 regular muffin or 2 mini muffins
Recipe adapted from The Sweet Spot
Ingredients
  • 1 cup nut butter - you can buy nut butters here
  • 2 medium sized bananas (The more ripe, the sweeter!)
  • 2 large eggs 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla (try making your own!)
  • 2 tablespoons of raw honey(or other sweeteners such as maple syrup, stevia, etc.)
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • Toppings: dehydrated unsweetened coconut flakes, raisins, flaxseed, dark chocolate chips, cinnamon, and/or anything else you can think of. I added even more tupelo honey ;) Feel free to lather on apple butter, strawberry preserves, or even more peanut butter. Ever heard of carrot jam? It's very tasty with this snack, too!
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Place all ingredients into a blender or food processor. You can also use a stick blender if you have one.
  3. Blend until well mixed.
  4. Pour batter into a greased muffin tin. You can also use a mini muffin tin to make 24 mini muffins.
  5. Add additional toppings of your choice to each muffin and lightly stir into each cup
  6. Cook time: 15 minutes for full size muffins and 10 minutes for mini muffins.
  7. Reheat in a toaster oven for about 4 minutes at 350 degrees F, or eat at room temperature.
Notes: I first made this in a half batch. I used half almond and have peanut butter. I used 1 1/2 TBS RAW honey, and I added 1/4 cup mini gf chocolate chips. I also used my stick blender to blend them.

What I would do next time: use a riper banana (mostly brown almost black), only use peanut butter. Taste the batter and check for sweetness.. maybe use a little more honey, but using a riper banana will help with sweetness as well.

The texture was NOT rubbery, was NOT dense, WAS light and fluffy, like a normal muffin.

This one is being printed and being put into my GF recipe file.

Definetly also check out Averie Cooks  These little GF puffs look very promising, although not dairy free, I am wondering if they can be made with a dairy free alternative. Like dairy free sour cream (for those who are DF). 
 

2 comments:

  1. Here it is March 31, 2016 and I have just found your blog. I am really enjoying it. Have you quit posting for good? (Would love to see even more :-) Thanks for this blog still being up if you have decided to stop for good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I have not quit. Just had to take a break.

    ReplyDelete