Thursday, May 19, 2011

Prussian Pot

I was really surprised by this recipe. Super easy!!

1 lb. fresh sauerkraut or 1 lb canned sauerkraut
1 lb smoked sausage (I used beef kielbasa)
3 tart cooking apples, peeled and thinly sliced (I used granny smiths)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
3/4 cup apple juice or cider

Rinse sauerkraut and squeeze dry. Cut sausage into 2-inch pieces (I cut them smaller so I wouldn't have to cut them while trying to eat them).  Put 1/2 the sauerkraut in the crock-pot. Add 1/2 the sausage on top, then 1/2 the apples, salt and pepper and half the brown sugar. Then the rest of the sausage and apples and brown sugar and top with remaining sauerkraut. DO NOT STIR THE LAYERS. Cover and cook on high 3 to 4 hours or low 6 to 7 hours. Stir before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment