Thursday, December 5, 2019

Gluten Free Tattie Scones

Have you ever heard of a Scottish Tattie Scone?  It's kind of like a thick tortilla, or thin naan. To me they are comfort food. Great with mash and meat, soup, or used as a wrap type sandwich. I love naan, but these are faster and just as yummy.
This one is fresh off the pan. I then stuffed it with rice (on the plate), cheese and shredded chicken. This can be rolled burrito style, but not too tight or it will rip.

I do not like GF tortillas you find in the store. I think they are made by mission. I have tried both the white ones and the green ones. Both were sticky, gummy, pastie and flavorless; not to mention EXPENSIVE!

I have had the Scottish Tattie Scone recipe forever, but I have only made them once since we moved 2 years ago. Why? I forgot about it. But we used it with a soup the other night. But tonight  I had the chicken in my crock-pot and everyone else could use a flour tortilla, so I decided to try to make a GF tattie scone and see if it would work. Not only does it work, but it tastes AMAZING.
I almost ate the entire thing before remembering I wanted a picture! So yummy I made more, and yup they are already gone. This recipe is very easy, can be dairy free (DF), corn free (CF), soy free (SF) and of course gluten free (GF). I will admit, mine were not DF. But they could have been.

So I used leftover mash to make these, and DS2 made the mash so there was butter, parmesan, garlic and half and half in them. Which, by the way, were amazing yummy spuds. Rules with GF flour, it has to be cooked through, for some reason. It may seem this dough is too dry, but honestly it all mixes in, and makes a wonderful dough.

The spuds we used are called Huckleberry Golds, and they are one of the ugliest potatoes I have ever seen. Purple skin, that is kind of warty, with beautiful golden flesh.

They are very dense and delicious.

I took two pictures, one with and one without the flash. The purple is very vibrant in the sunlight. The interior flesh is a wonderful yellow gold.

I used Mom's Place GF flour blend (locally made) , link is in the name. I love Mom's Place, so far theirs is the only gf blend I like.
Ok so would you like to try them? These are yum! I love them. My kids like them too.


Scottish Tattie Scones
Half pound boiled mashed potatoes (King Edwards if you can get them)
2.5 oz (65 g) all-purpose flour (wheat OR GLUTEN FREE)
1 oz (25 g) butter (OR coconut oil, olive oil, ghee, etc)
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
1/4 tsp baking powder

Boils spuds in salted water until tender. Drain, mash with butter, S & P, and baking powder.*
Mix in flour to make stiff dough (exact amount depends on type of potatoes used).

Roll out on floured surface to 5 - 6 mm thick. Cut into rounds, use a saucer or small tea plate as a guide. Prick all over with fork and score dough to mark 4 equal wedges. Cook in lightly greased heavy pan or griddle over medium heat. About 3 minutes per side or until golden brown.**

*OR use leftover mash potatoes, add S & P, baking powder and flour, mix until stiff dough.

**Divide into 4 pieces, and roll into a ball. Then take a ziplock gallon bag and cut the sides open. Place ball in center of one side, put other side on top and use a heavy pan to flatten ball. If that is not enough then gently roll out to 4 to 6mm thick.
When making GF, I roll these out to 3mm thick, but you could go thicker, they will take longer to cook. I do NOT prick with a fork all over, because they are very thin, and I cook them like a tortilla.

 Cooking the first side, I also turned it around a little as my pan wasn't quite hot everywhere yet. Half of it was cooked so I turned it clockwise to get the other side done.
 Then I flipped it. and the smells.. made my mouth water. Using garlic mash is amazing for these.


 Well stuff with chicken, rice and cheese. And it was worth the 5 minute wait while I got the pan heating up, mixed the dough, rolled it out and cooked it. FAST AND EASY AND so worth it. NOT gummy, NOT sticky, NOT hard to make. This is one that will be made often as a bread for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment