Sunday, November 3, 2019

November and December Challenge: Week #1 Nov 1 - 7

So I was thinking. We are getting into the lean part of the year.
What do I mean? I mean we are spending money on things for Christmas, Halloween and Thanksgiving.. usually more than we meant to. And then January and February hits and everyone stays home, no one goes to the store.. and the pantry gets rather lean, so does certain sections of the freezer.

Thinking about this, I thought this challenge for November and December make sense. AND it will build your larder, aka food storage. How? Very simple.

So here is it.. Now granted we only have 60 days until January 1st, but that is still 60 days!!!  So the challenge? Buy at least one can of canned food to add to your food storage a day. Now I know we live a little further from stores than some. So when you go to the grocery, it's ok to pick up 7 different items so you don't have to drive to town everyday. Now you all know I can weekly. So in October I canned pear butter, pears and pear preserves and chutney. I am hoping to get some meat canned soon too.

REMEMBER: Only put food in your food storage that your family will eat. Don't eat canned ham? Not a problem substitute with what you do eat, chicken? chili? stew? you get the idea. Store what you eat, Eat what you store.

They are fun. It's a great idea! And a great way for us all to be able to help our food storage to be more flavorful!


BY #1: Chicken Noodle Soup (ready to eat)
BY #2: Evaporated Milk
BY #3: Canned Pasta
BY #4: Sliced Peaches
BY #5: Canned Ham
BY #6: Chili
BY #7: Evaporated Milk (we use milk more than we think!)

Now, if any of this is in your regular pantry rotation, fabulous, add another can or two. DON'T buy stuff if you will never eat it. These are only suggestions. You can look through your pantry and see something your family might prefer.We do not do the beef tamales due to corn allergy, so instead, I would can some hamburger.

If it makes it easier, you can do several items at once if you are already grocery shopping. Don't make a special trip to the store just to buy one thing. And if you see, there are duplicates, so you could pick up several of one item to count towards your 60 cans.
I already buy canned chicken, so I will buy the 2 or 4 pack instead of just one can. But I always check to see what is the cheapest way. We really like the great value chicken breast in cans at Wal-Mart, it is tender and yummy.
Campbell's chicken noodle and the Tomato sometimes come in a four pack that is cheaper.  If there is a case-lot sale, sometimes you can really save on several items. This is not all we will be adding to our larder these 2 months, baking supplies go on sale now too. So I will have more posts coming.

1 comment:

  1. I was able to get sweetened condensed milk x 3, evaporated milk x 5, and I picked up 100# of goards to can.

    ReplyDelete